This job posting has expired
Staff Software Engineer, IoT
Location : Carlsbad, CA
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Senior Level
How will you ale an impact?
Thermo Fisher is at the heart of the global response to COVID-19 and we’re growing one of the teams supporting this effort. The Global Services and Support Software team is solving the software challenges of connected laboratory and healthcare equipment, as well as the digital infrastructure to support it. We’re a small startup-like team with global reach and you will have a significant impact on the future of connected devices at Thermo Fisher Scientific. As a member of this team you would be expected to collaborate on wide-range of projects - from bringing disparate sources of data together to gain actionable insights to developing the tools for our field- and phone-support to more efficiently troubleshoot and resolve customer issues.
What will you do?
You will integrate systems with 3rd-party APIs; work on the data pipeline connecting our Internet of Things enabled DNA sequencers, flow cytometers and other hi-tech lab instruments to the Thermo Fisher Scientific cloud; and collaborate with data science and product R&D teams on developing autonomous systems for predicting failures and improving instrument uptime. You will test all of your own code and the frameworks you write, design databases and data structures, and will frequently be learning new technologies.
Many of the things you will work on are new or emerging technologies; often they've never been tried before, and certainly not with the technologies at our disposal. At times, you will have to identify opportunities for new or different technologies and make recommendations on the best way forward. Facing these unknowns likely invigorates you, and learning new frameworks and paradigms might be something you find
How will you get here?
· Bachelor Degree in computer science, engineering, product design or related discipline
· 7+ years of experience in commercial software environment using various languages and operating systems
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- You can write Python, both within a framework and without one.
- You are comfortable reading C and C++ code, and know that QT isn’t textspeak for cute.
- You can debug the occasional Java program
- Writing database queries is a tool in your belt, be it with Postgresql, MySQL, or a NoSQL database.
- You are able to work on multi-disciplinary cross-functional product development teams and effectively communicate to and build relationships with project team stakeholders.
- Experience with designing software for embedded hardware applications
- You find the prospect of building a hybrid edge cloud systems exciting rather than daunting.
- You’re a voracious reader of blogs and an outspoken advocate for best practices, eager to influence processes, and drive continuous improvement.
- Anticipates future needs and problems while creating solutions for today.