This job posting has expired
Software Development Engineer II – AWS Internet of Things (IoT)
Location : Seattle, WA
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Mid Level
- f non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
IoT refers to a system of physical devices, sensors, actuators, cameras, light bulbs and all "Things" that have computing capability and connect to the Internet. Application domain for IoT is very broad. It includes but not limited to industrial automation, smart homes, self-driving cars and consumer products.
Amazon’s Internet of Things (AWS IoT) platform enables customers to easily connect devices to the AWS IoT message broker using industry standard lightweight protocols and ensuring maximum security while providing a fully managed platform as a service. Companies from all over the world can build their smart features and apps without having to worry about building a scalable infrastructure that grows with their millions of customers and devices – because we do it for them. From simple sensors and actuators that barely have enough memory to a full-blown industrial gateways, they all can benefit from AWS IoT to receive, store and process data to implement an ever growing set of features.
The IoT Device Ecosystem team enables our partners and customers to develop and qualify their IoT platforms and devices to be used with AWS services. Our industry partners include top CPU/MCU manufacturers and device OEMs. We have also built a brand new fully-managed AWS Service to serve as a verification gateway for IoT devices. This industry-first cloud service validates IoT devices for connectivity, security and updatability, regardless of the device's internal implementation.
Inclusive Team Culture:
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we’ve been building. Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
We are seeking software developers with industry experience, technical innovation and solid engineering skills. All of our development is very industry partner and customer-centric, and you should feel strongly not only about building and releasing good software, but about making that software highly reliable and scalable. Experience with cloud-services, device software, desktop and embedded development, RTOS and Linux architectures, and test frameworks will be helpful. You should be someone who enjoys working and having fun with some of the smartest software engineers in the industry - building complex system software to deliver significant impact for the AWS IoT business.
- Design, build, and optimize software for both cloud and desktop.
- Write clear, reliable, testable, and maintainable code.
- Debug and fix software and operational issues.
- Develop intuitive web-service APIs and use AWS’s cutting edge technologies to spin up new features quickly.
- Participate in interviewing and hiring software developers.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we’re also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 5pm. Some of us come in earlier and others stay later.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two and a half months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
- Excellent understanding of resource and design requirements for highly scalable systems.
- Experience with the Linux operating system environment and/or Free RTOS embedded OS environment.
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
- Knowledge of system performance and operational readiness monitoring.
- Ability to mentor other software developers and to improve development best practices.
- Good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and an excellent mentor, have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment.