This job posting has expired
Software Engineer- Firmware
Location : United States (or) REMOTE
Headquarters : Santa Monica, California, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Firmware Engineer
Experience : Mid Level
- Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we're just getting started.
- The Senior Software Engineer tackles some of the most challenging technical and complex data problems impacting the world of micro-mobility.
- Working closely with cross-functional teams, including Product, Data, and Operations, this role builds and supports our core backend services that are the backbone of Bird’s success.
- Develop firmware across Bird’s entire fleet of current and future vehicles.
- Collaborate with electrical engineers to design, implement, and test new control modules for various products.
- Deploy to and monitor firmware of a fleet of world-wide IoT devices.
- Take products from the idea stage all the way to real-world deployments.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related STEM field
- 5+ years experience
- Strong experience and proficiency debugging and developing in embedded C.
- Demonstrated experience developing commercial embedded products.
- Experience designing with and debugging common embedded interface protocols such as UART, I2C, and SPI.
- Proficiency with test equipment such as oscilloscopes, meters, logic analyzer, and function generators.
- Understanding of version control tools such as GIT.
- CAN based automotive diagnostic protocols such as ISO 15765-2 and ISO 14229.
- Resource and power constrained (battery-operated) products containing cellular radio technologies (GSM, CDMA, etc.), GPS receivers, and antennas
- Experience with ST microcontrollers and Nordic Semiconductors platforms
- Embedded real-time operating system fundamentals such as FreeRTOS
- CI/CD technologies (e.g. Jenkins)
- Mathematical and performance based understanding of motor control principles and implementations
- Experience using Linux as a development environment.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.