This job posting has expired
Location : London
Headquarters : United Kingdom
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
- We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment. We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
- Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
- We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
- We also proudly enjoy a 5-star Trust Pilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre - Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
- We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company and Tokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
- We’re building our future tech R&D team and looking for people that get excited exploring, creating and making new technology work.
- The team works fast to create prototype solutions and isn’t afraid to get the soldering iron out, experiment with software, use online tools to shortcut delivery timescales and run customer trials to get rapid feedback.
- We work across all areas of energy technology so projects may be getting new tariff ideas off the ground,
- working with start-ups on new services and devices or creating our own devices and software systems to
- experiment with.
- We regularly write blog articles on the outcomes of our innovation and if we find something of
- value and scalable we’ll help get it to market and pass it into the business.
What you'll do
- You will seek out new ideas, start-ups and technology and investigate what we could do with them
- You will create technology and explore ways we could experiment with it
- You will work with trial customers to help them try out new technology and get feedback, solve issues
- You will work with all areas of the business to prototype new technology, services and apps the business needs rapidly
- You will seek specialist partners and suppliers and be responsible for them where we need dedicated expertise
- You will be a self-starter willing to come up with ideas and suggest things to work on
- You will be able to jump from one project to another and be involved in a wide range of areas
What you'll need
- Engineering degree or experience in a hands on engineering environment
- Hardware development experience
- Some Python, React and React Native skills
- IOT experience
- Energy industry experience will be useful
- Problem solver
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Holiday - 23 days plus bank holidays
- Remuneration - we're changing the face of field marketing therefore, we believe all of our brand ambassadors at Octopus will receive a competitive basic salary as well as uncapped commission
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- Smart Pension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health