This job posting has expired
Location : Bengaluru, Karnataka
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
With over 12,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience & Success (CE&S) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CE&S organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
Escalation Engineers (EE) investigate and solve critical, complex, and highly technical issues using mostly code-level techniques - like trace and source code analysis, debugging tools, reverse engineering techniques and other sophisticated diagnostic tools. EEs are responsible for driving Product Engineering engagement. They handle highly complex politically charged and financially important cases through collaboration and conflict resolution skills and act as key collaboration point for support teams.
Are you interested in playing a critical role in Microsoft Azure Database releases?
Microsoft Database-as-a-service (DBaaS) offerings- Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Managed Instance, Azure Database for PostgreSQL and MySQL , Azure Arc Data Services is a becoming a strategic unit of Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS). Database-as-a-service (DBaaS) has evolved into a very popular option for organizations looking to reduce their operational and capital expenses, while tapping into the performance and scale benefits of the cloud.
We are building an engineering team within support to be “the” differentiator in the marketplace and need the best and brightest to take our Database Cloud solutions to the next level.
This is an opportunity to work on the modern, comprehensive, enterprise-ready business intelligence platform & work directly with our Database Product Groups to provide world-class engineering support at a product component level & Product Quality enhancements
Beta Escalations are deeply involved with the product & services before they are released, understanding key customer scenarios and providing input to ensure customers are successful once released.
If you are excited about being part of the future in cloud services and hybrid platform then this role may be for you.
- Handle highly complex, political, financial, executive level cases - as business demands
- Key collaboration point for advanced troubleshooting to unblock issues - including the use of code-level techniques
- Manage engagement with Product Engineering for Support-raised escalations
- Work alongside Serviceability and engineering teams as trusted advisor to improve incident resolution or service deficiency
- Drive process, tool, service delivery and solution improvements that enable effective troubleshooting and remediation (incl. Diagnostics)
- Provide ramp activities for junior engineers, knowledge sharing, technical coaching and mentoring
- Drive technical collaboration and engagement outside of CSS (Product Engineering teams/Services/Support/Regions)
- Lead or participate in building communities with peer delivery roles; may be workload or specialty specific
We’re looking for a strong Escalation Engineer that wants to put their skills to use to help shape new Azure products. Work with engineering teams on new services, offerings and features and be the voice of the customer and support to drive readiness and make sure that the right supportability features are built into the product.
As a Beta Engineer, you will positively affect the adoption and perception of product and service quality through the development lifecycle, improve our brand image, and contribute to building lifetime customer loyalty. You will be deeply involved with products and services before they are released, understanding key customer scenarios and providing input to ensure customers are successful once released. Throughout the beta cycle, you will be exposed to information from a variety of feedback channels, aggregating and prioritizing that feedback for the purposes of issue identification and then driving appropriate changes in a product or service and/or driving appropriate actions to mitigate the identified issues.
As an Escalation Engineer (EEE), you will be an important member of the Customer Service and Support (CSS) Data and Enterprise Cloud Support Engineering Team and a virtual member of the Azure Database Product Groups.
Your key responsibilities will include the following
- Stay on top of rapid innovation by testing and documenting new features and technologies as the Community technology previews get released.
- Perform pre-release gap and bug analysis to determine the need for public-facing support content.
- Identify emerging trends or re-occurring escalation scenarios and drive engineering opportunities to mitigate and/or eliminate them from the workflow. This can include a range of potential work item categories; such as self-healing mechanisms, self-serve, transparency, automation, and/or increasing the capabilities for Azure support.
- Lead engineering investigations to bring quicker issue resolution to support incidents impacting our customers and improve customer experience.
- Build solutions, help create tools, help automate issue detection and diagnosis, to enable customers or support to self-resolve the issues.
- Contribute to product improvements by filing impactful bugs, design change requests and helping developers to fix and ship them to production, preventing customers from being impacted.
- As a trusted advisor to the Microsoft Azure engineering team and the Serviceability Technology Lead, you will suggest changes to future versions to better equip our support teams as well as our partners and customers and help influence in-market solutions today.
- As a customer ambassador, you will also partner with engineering leadership for strategic technical, architectural and design discussions, and drive strategic thought leadership for Azure Diagnostics/UDE tools creation and usage worldwide bringing the customer voice to the center of impactful decisions. These strategic areas of focus will target our highest impact pain points for our partners, customers and team members.
- Identify, understand and prioritize service improvement opportunities based upon product feedback.
- Establish listening systems to foster a productive dialog. (Support Delivery, Pre-release customers, GetHelp, Forums, Social Media, MVPs, Field, etc.)
- Provide technical leadership to multiple cross-platform projects and teams. (CSS Support Readiness, CSS Beta Engineers, the Serviceability Team, etc.)
- Partner with product teams and others in Microsoft Services to drive, track, and deliver product improvement and effective mitigations to address problem areas, issues and risks.
- Create insights and other diagnostic content in Azure Support Center, the global Azure diagnostic platform
- Work closely with engineering teams, readiness managers, release managers and support planners to ensure the needs of our support teams are thoroughly understood.
- The position is primarily “behind the scenes” providing engineering support to the broader Microsoft SQL Cloud support delivery teams for incidents that require product group engagement. At the same time, individuals should be capable and prepared to occasionally engage directly with customers to help facilitate incident resolution as appropriate.
- Create training and other readiness materials for the internal teams.
- Deliver training to global audiences to ensure support readiness for the launch of new features.
English Language: fluent in reading, writing and speaking.
The successful candidate for this role will have a demonstrated history of working well under the pressure of multiple competing priorities, strong technical and cloud services skills, with a data-driven focus. Beyond extensive technical and product focus, this role requires the ability to frame and communicate issues and recommendations clearly and concisely, show exceptional attention to detail, and demonstrate the ability to build broad relationships with the right influencers, leveraging those relationships to impact key business results. The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of the competitive landscape and use this understanding to influence decision makers in both support and the SQL Engineering Groups.
To be successful in this role, the following skills and experience is desired:
- 3+ years of experience in a customer-facing or support role in any of the following: technical escalation support, product support, developer support, IT DevOps, IT Admin/support, Systems Development, or Consulting or IT/Network Operations.
- Strong experience and knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and Database technology.
- (4+ years of experience working with SQL Server on-premises or SQL Cloud)
- Preferred 2+ years of experience on Open source databases or Azure Open Source Databases (Azure Database for MySQL, Azure Database for Maria DB, Azure Database for PostgreSQL)
- Experience and Knowledge of Cloud Computing
- 2+ years of Azure/Other Cloud Platform experience
- Good understanding of Microsoft Azure Platform Compute, architecture, and related components.
- Understanding of Commerce Platform, Subscription management and Billing Systems in Cloud
- Exposure or knowledge of Linux OS is a plus
- Familiarity with Active Directory, Security, OS Internals concepts
- Understanding of Windows Server or Linux OS (System Admin and OS Internals)
- Understanding of Virtualization concepts
- Familiarity with Networking concepts and Network Troubleshooting Tools
- Escalation Engineers are not expected to write product code; however, should be able to apply their code skills and understanding towards efficiently resolving support issues as appropriate
- Experience with C# and .NET, PowerShell, CLI, Microsoft Azure, other languages.
- Service engineering and/or DevOps experience at internet scale involving user data and/or software development for an enterprise level service
- Familiarity with development tools, methods, and troubleshooting
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills, an ability to use various data collection tools and methodologies to analyze problems and develop solutions
- Passion for technology and overall product quality. An interest and desire to understand Microsoft Product Groups and the product development life cycle.
- Strong communications skills - excellent spoken and written English communication skills and the ability to present complex technical issues clearly and concisely to a general audience
- Self-motivated and independent thinker, who routinely translates circumstances and understanding into actions that move the business forward in a measurable manner.
- Excellent analytical, problem resolution and decision-making skills
- Disciplined program management and cross-group skills, including the ability to get what you need from others while working around their own legitimate priorities.
- Courage and conviction to drive decisions and defend positions across organization.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.