This job posting has expired
Head of Research, Xerox Research Centre of Canada
Location : Mississauga, ON
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Manager
Experience : Senior Level
- Starting with the invention of xerography more than 75 years ago, Xerox engineered a dramatic change in how people share information. Since then, the company has continued to engineer a better way for the world to work by applying its expertise in imaging, business process, analytics, automation and human centric design to make a real difference for customers and their customers. Through its innovation, Xerox has changed the way the world shops, learns, parks, does banking, receives healthcare and, of course – works.
- Xerox’s global research labs have a mission to create high-impact innovations that drive profitable revenue growth. The labs are located in, Canada and the U.S., and include the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC Inc.) that provides custom R&D services.
- PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients. Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
- The Xerox Research Centre of Canada (XRCC) is Canada's leading materials research center, home to a world-class team of scientists and engineers with broad expertise in materials chemistry, formulation design, prototyping, testing, and chemical process engineering. Researchers work in multi-disciplinary teams across all stages of the innovation process to deliver solutions for applications in printing on paper, 3D Printing, and printed electronics leading to smart objects. Innovations such as new conductive inks, printable semiconductors, and structured organic films will change everything from 3D printing to the Internet of Things (IoT) and address new sustainable materials for a better world.
- We are actively recruiting for a driven, dynamic, and visionary senior executive to lead XRCC as its next Head of Research.
- At the Xerox Research Centre of Canada (XRCC), our goal continues to be developing a strong research pipeline in support of Xerox’s innovation goals to create transformational value for customers and society. XRCC is looking for a Head of Research to build and lead a major part of the company’s global research & development platform. Reporting directly to the Chief Technology Officer & Head of PARC GBU, this individual will be responsible for the growth, development, and financing of XRCC’s research & development projects, innovations, and commercial applications with an eye towards building and scaling up applications and innovations across advanced materials.
- Build and lead the XRCC strategic research center
- Set the direction of the center’s global mandate and develop the vision, mission, and objectives.
- Develop center-level strategies in support of Xerox’s new business ventures for commercialization of products.
- Manage the creation and development of new technology thrust areas in response to emerging opportunities.
- Provide technical direction with specific scientific and advanced development guidance.
- Foster scientific advancements to expand Xerox’s Intellectual Property portfolio (patent disclosures, technical papers, trade secrets).
- Strategic Planning
- Scale and grow the research center technologies into potential new business opportunities
- Work closely with research & development, product development and engineering teams to develop and identify technological innovations that can be commercialized to propel Xerox into a competitive position
- Manage finances for a complex business model that combines Xerox research funding, government contracting, commercial service engagements, IP licensing, and new venture creation with multiple internal and external customers
- Assess, value, and ensure compliance with government contracts and their requirements.
- Implement finance best practices to meet government contracting requirements and manage government audits.
- Strategic Relationship Management
- Provide leadership with interactions in other technology centers and research centers to provide synergy of technology across the corporation
- Demonstrated ability to develop opportunities with the public sector (e.g., National Research Council).
- Identify key partnerships for research collaborations.
- Work collaboratively with the business to champion new areas of research and develop value-based opportunities within the public sector.
- Provide leadership with marketing of technologies to the (Innovation) Tower leaders and business groups.
- Interface with the external scientific community.
- General Management & Operations Management
- Build and lead cross-functional teams in the development and implementation of strategic initiatives that substantially advance the capabilities and/or performance of XRCC.
- Allocate resources to meet schedules and achieve results within budget.
- Manage all human resource activities including hiring, diversity objectives, performance evaluations, training, skills development, and salary management.
- Build and maintain a diverse and safe work environment that empowers employees to succeed through motivation and work satisfaction.
- Strong knowledge of technology including a comprehensive understanding of current and emerging innovation technologies and business opportunities directly aligned with Xerox’s business ventures which includes chemical processes, polymer chemistry, engineered materials, advanced sensors, energy storage, and printer consumables.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully launching new and innovative technological programs.
- Strategic thinker: ability to successfully utilize creative and visionary thinking, providing leadership to transform those visions into actionable results.
- Relationship Management skills – ability to effectively engage with customers and partners, influencing across all levels of an enterprise.
- Business management; experience managing a multi-million-dollar P&L
- Ability to work with and communicate to all levels of management, including C-level and directs to C-level; ability to balance multiple and sometimes conflicting objectives while working with multiple clients, stakeholders, partners, and internal executives
- Exceptional people leadership, proven collaborator, and team player; strong presentation and influence skills with senior level executives, partners, and clients; demonstrated ability to successfully drive initiatives across a matrix organization; strong record of building and developing high performing teams.
- Able to absorb complex technical information and effectively communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field, MBA and/or PhD preferred
- LSS Green Belt training and Project Management Professional (PMP) certification a plus
- Xerox is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, identity, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, military/veteran status, citizenship status, basis of genetic information or any other group protected by law. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox may request such accommodation(s) by sending an email to XeroxStaffingAdminCenters@xerox.com. Be sure to include your name, the job you are interested in, and the accommodation you are seeking.