Staff Software Engineer
Location : Cambridge
Headquarters : Cambridge, England, UK
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Mid Level
- The Open Source Software (OSS) team is responsible for developing and improving the software eco-system around Arm's next generation of applications processors.
- As a member of the Open Source Software Group you will have the opportunity to build upon your existing background, knowledge and expertise and contribute to Open Source projects, e.g. Yocto, Linux Kernel, Trusted Firmware, etc. providing essential reference implementations and optimizations to key software system components.
- This contribution helps drive the development of world-class System Software for architected hardware and software platforms catering to different segments such as Mobile/Server/IoT/Automotive which become reference designs for futuristic devices in the market.
- You will join a team of Software Developers who all share a passion for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing, wherever it may lead.
- We seek individuals with exposure and knowledge of every level of the System software stack ranging from BareMetal firmware, bootloaders, Kernel and Distros.
- If you are similarly passionate about leading edge technologies then we want to hear from you!
- Contribution to the design and development of reference system and platform software for Arm application processors and MCUs.
- Leading a distributed software development team, providing direction and mentoring to other members of your team as they learn new things and solve complex problems.
- We want you to be able work with project and product managers to analyze industry specs, roadmap requirements, breakdown tasks and help execute the project plans.
- We would like you to aspire to provide the best technical advice and direction to both Arm's, and Arm Partners', platform implementation projects
- Supporting key partners with their internal development programs
- Your activities will involve upstreaming and maintenance
- As an active member of an extended development team you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry
- You would be helping to develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support Arm's groundbreaking IP, as well as helping Arm grow its role in new embedded and enterprise market segments.
- University degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have appropriate experience.
- Experience of leading a team of embedded software developers
- You have expertise in low level systems and a command over a range of related concepts such as firmware, bootloaders, device drivers, OS fundamentals preferably Linux, developing secure systems.
- Excellent C skills, some assembly skills are desirable with proficiency with the GNU toolchain and/or LLVM and cross compiling
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English.
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
- Experience with working with open-source community. We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes.
- You are familiar and flexible in the use of various software development lifecycle methods including Agile
- You will exhibit an understanding of how to rigorously test software using various techniques
- You can show an awareness of the value of a rigorous CI and automated test system
- Experience of Containers & Kubernetes
- Experience with developing systems and applications in trusted execution environment
- Experience with UEFI, EDK2 or U-Boot
- Experience with trusted firmware
- You can demonstrate a proficiency with scripting languages such as Python
- Arm is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and colleagues. We are a diverse organization of dedicated and innovative individuals, and don’t discriminate on the basis of any characteristic.