Solution Architect - Early Science
Location : Melbourn SG8
Headquarters : Cambridge
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Architect
Experience : Mid Level
- AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
- At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
- We’re resetting expectations for what a pharmaceutical company can be, turning ideas into life-changing medicines that benefit patients the world over, and making what was impossible yesterday the norm of tomorrow. Technology is our motivation. Become part of our Architecture team and set our technology blueprint of how we’re going to deliver against AstraZeneca’s business strategy.
- As the successful candidate, you will take on Solution Architect role in our major programs/projects aligned to Early Science Research. You will ensure that common architecture decisions support both business and IS strategy, and that architectures delivered, both logical and physical, are aligned with meaningful AZ architecture standards, blueprints and roadmaps. You will assess and review the work of architecture designs and build a balance between the immediate and the strategic.
- You will also be instrumental in understanding implications of architecture requirements to ‘As-Is’ architectures and define/update ‘To-Be’ architectures applying AZ architecture guiding principles. You will be responsible for Project Portfolios typically over the 0-18-month horizon. You will be accountable for direction, performance and ongoing health of the current solution architectures within one or more given portfolios. Y
- ou will also define and lead the Solution Architecture Principles for the assigned portfolio(s). The role will guide and support other Architects (including third party suppliers) in the development and documentation of IS/IT architectures for sophisticated and business critical projects.
- The Solution Architect will be accountable for driving solution evaluation and selection decisions, buy vs. build decisions, and early-phase project estimates which advise business case development.
- You will be responsible for delivering feedback to the Enterprise Architect team on how to improve Architecture Standards as well as documenting standard methodologies, drive reuse of existing solutions and in partnership with other Architects promote new solutions for reuse.
- We want to bring someone into the team who will share an ambitious attitude; you’ll be a self-starter, and independent thinker, owning solutions and striving to build new possibilities. Your passion and experience in the following areas will be key:
- Ensure that solution architectures and designs are appropriately robust and address business, application, information and infrastructure architectural requirements
- Partner with project managers, business analysts, and solution engineers to build solutions that are aligned to AstraZeneca architecture standards and principles, use common solutions and services, and meet the financial targets (cost and benefits).
- Within the solution development lifecycle, the role will be accountable for architecting the solution design; starting with solution options evaluation and selection, buy vs. build decisions, and early-phase project estimates which contribute to the business case.
- Partnering with IT stakeholders and Enterprise Architects to gain consensus and be inspirational
- Building an inclusive environment and collaborating with a diverse team to get the best outcomes
- You will collaborate with Enterprise Architects, Solution Architects, Information Architects and Engineers and contribute to the crafting of forward-thinking applications and solutions.
- The role will require a level of international travel.
- If this interests you so far, please read on to discover what skills and experience we need…
- Degree or equivalent number of years of experience in a Computer Science or Data Management related field
- High School Diploma
- Extensive experience and knowledge of Early Science Research Domain solutions
- You will need phenomenal interpersonal skills and a collaborative, enthusiastic approach to strategy and delivery
- Able to influence and deliver Solution Architecture in terms of design, direction and planning
- Demonstrable experience of technical knowledge and experience of crafting and deploying solutions with large data sets on one or more cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google).
- Has problem solving skills based on well-developed levels of conceptual thought, strategic vision, analytical skills and risk management
- Experience in known industry architectural patterns and frameworks
- Understands cloud-based containerization strategies for hybrid cloud environments
- Understanding the appropriate data structure and technology based on business used cases
- Ability to interpret and communicate technical information into business language
- Present information on a technical subject in a concise and measured manner to the needs of the target audience
- A strong interest of data, information, integration architectures and processes
- Agile practices and agile project delivery
- We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into exploring new leading-edge technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimize and evolutionize AstraZeneca by maximizing efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity.
- From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate, and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to add value in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
- Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply, and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can
- AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.