IOT Software Developer
Location : London
Headquarters : London
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Mid Level
- Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we combine innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment to make a positive difference to the world.
- Digital Transformation is at the heart of Arup’s strategy, combining digital and data-related capabilities with traditional engineering, design and consultancy strengths. We use this to solve our clients most complex challenges and help them respond effectively to the rapidly evolving digital world.
- Building Engineering in London is made up of four groups, each working on a range of building projects across transport, science & industry, commercial, education and arts & culture sectors. The group has a digital buildings cluster focussing on smart buildings, data from building advisory services, with a growing number of software and IoT development projects, and products. The team works closely with other teams across Arup and is the hub for multidisciplinary working, bringing together different specialists and advisory services to suit client and project needs.
- We are seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineer for the role of IOT software developer to join the smart buildings team in the London Buildings Groups delivering digital services programmes for Arup. The role will support the development, maintenance and support of project and client facing tools and services for our UK Building Engineering sector and more widely to relevant groups in Arup.
- We are seeing exciting opportunities with new and existing clients, to realise smarter buildings, that can greatly improve performance and efficiency, as well as the experience and health and well-being of their users. The smart buildings team also develops a smart buildings software service to realise these aims through open and secure access to data from devices and systems. Vendor agnostic, this service also provides visualisations and analytics, integrating with in-house and partner software products.
- You will be working in a small, geographically dispersed, agile development team with colleagues of various digital skills, including UX design, frontend & backend development and software architecture. You will be integrated into the Buildings business and will report to the Buildings UK digital team leaders. You will also be expected to work closely with our software development leadership across the business to drive consistency in development practice, knowledge sharing mentoring and staff development.
- You will be responsible for designing, developing and supporting high quality software as part of an agile team.
- You will be accountable for significant and complex software development activities. This will require you to be responsible for predicting and planning your work and coordinating efforts with other team members.
- You will be responsible for the performance and development of others. This would require you to provide guidance, mentoring, training, motivation and direction to staff, some of which have developed through a hybrid route of building engineering and digital development.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- Has extensive knowledge of specialist areas and keeps up to date with current industry information and own knowledge and skills;
- Contributes to the development of others through sharing expertise, demonstrates design/supervisory experience;
- Has achieved a professional qualification or has significant commercial experience in relevant area of expertise.
- Liaises with other relevant stakeholders in order to plan, organise and deliver development tasks
- Realistic about own and others’ capabilities, ensuring others have adequate resources/training to carry out required tasks;
- Able to see the ‘big picture’ and make changes in order to meet strategic needs.
- Thinking & Decision Making
- Forecasts possibilities by weighing up information in order to predict and plan likely developments;
- Uses diverse information and provides innovative solutions to complex problems;
- Clearly and concisely explains complex concepts to ensure others understanding;
- Adapts communication style to suit the audience;
- Clearly and concisely identifies key issues, without avoiding the difficult issues.
- Team Working & Leadership
- Supports, trains and shares expertise with junior staff;
- Is seen as accessible and approachable to others looking for help or information;
- Is clear with directions, involving all team members and support staff.
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels in both technical and non-technical environments;
- Ability to maintain personal effectiveness throughout software lifecycle.
- Ability to build High level, strategic relationships with other Arup colleagues globally including project directors, technical leads and product managers.
- You will work closely with product owner/s, engineers and delivery teams to build systems that drive towards Arup’s vision of improved productivity and differentiation of our service within the built environment
- Unix system administration
- Microservice Architecture Patterns
- Agile Methodologies (Scrum or Kanban)
- Graph DB Experience (Gremlin, Amazon Neptune, Apache Jena/Fuseki)
- We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
- Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
- In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
- At Arup we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all backgrounds.
- At Arup we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best.
- At Arup we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply and we will discuss how this could work in your role.
- If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
- Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.