This job posting has expired
Principal IOT Engineer
Location : San Diego, CA
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
San Diego, CA
Experience & Skills
- Data analysis skills
- Software testing
- Root cause analysis
- Master's degree
- Job details
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Engineering Group, Engineering Group > Mobile Chipset PE, MDM & MSM
- Researches, designs, develops, and tests operating systems-level software and/or hardware. Designs and coordinates complex engineering projects at the system level. Performs functional decomposition to drive requirements and specifications to both hardware and software. Analyzes information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system. Ensures system-level performance and power metrics are met. Drives triage of problems at the system level to determine root cause.
- Working independently with no supervision.
- Making decisions that are significant in impact, influencing overall program or project success, finances, and/or the ability to meet objectives; errors are not readily apparent due to the complexity of work process/product or time between decisions and results; errors typically result in significant expenditure of time, resources, and funds to correct.
- Using verbal and written communication skills to convey complex and/or detailed information to multiple individuals/audiences with differing knowledge levels. May require strong negotiation and influence, communication to large groups or high-level constituents.
- Having a great degree of influence over key organizational decisions (e.g., is making or directly making key decisions that have substantial impact on the organization).
- Completing tasks that require multiple steps that can be performed in various orders; tasks require simultaneously executing multiple cognitive abilities and maintaining information in short or long-term memory.
- Regularly determines what needs to be done and is involved with sharing innovative solutions to achieve broad policies and objectives.
- Using deductive and inductive problem solving; multiple approaches may be taken/necessary to solve the problem; often information is missing or conflicting; advanced data analysis and interpretation skills are required.
- Occasionally participates in strategic planning within own area affecting immediate operations.
- Financial accountability (e.g., does not involve budgeting responsibility).
- Collaborates with others inside and outside of project team to accomplish project objectives.
- Resolves design and technical issues related to technical area of expertise.
- Consults with Qualcomm leaders, project team, and outside the organization to determine how best to address a new or unique problem.
- Creates overarching system strategy in order to direct work for the project team.
- Advises on design specifications for major features and large systems features to meet customer demands.
- Identifies and creates an influence strategy in order to gain buy-in of new, changing, or existing programs or projects. This includes identifying areas of improvement, recommending changes, and presenting information in a way that will appeal to key stakeholders.
- Networks with colleagues across the organization as well as with external partners to gain insight, ideas, and connections.
- Communicates within and outside of project team to resolve conflicts in technical implementation schedules, design challenges, and other complexities.
- Makes decisions as it pertains to determining areas of systems that require particular focus with regard to improved processes in order to create greater efficiency and higher productivity.
- Motivates sub-teams to perform at their best and accept change.
- Provides guidance throughout the team on prioritization of work tasks based on identified project setbacks.
- Unites individuals from different backgrounds, locations, and cultures to accomplish project goals.
- Applies and teaches others on industry best practices and technical standards.
- Works with high-level representatives from other functions (e.g., testing group, product group, customers) to develop and execute plan system design of a large initiative.
- Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses up to ½ mile.
- Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 5 lbs.
- Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting).
- Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
- Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
- Bachelors - Computer Science, Bachelors - Engineering, Bachelors - Information Systems
- 8+ years Systems Engineering or related work experience.
- Masters - Computer Science, Masters - Engineering, Masters - Information Systems
- 15+ years Systems Engineering or related work experience. ,3+ years of work experience in a role requiring interaction with executive leadership (e.g., Vice President level and above). ,4+ years experience with Database Management Software. ,4+ years experience with Development Environment Software such as Apache Maven, Ruby, etc. ,4+ years experience working in a large matrixed organization. ,4+ years experience with Testing Software such as Bugzilla, LoadRunner, etc.
- Decomposition, Enterprise System Implementation, Metrics, Root Cause Analysis, Software Testing Tools
- If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
- To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies : Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
- EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
- If you would like more information about this role, please contact Qualcomm Careers .