This job posting has expired
Junior Software Engineer/Developer
Location : Southampton
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Entry Level
- Maru/HUB, a Maru Group company, consists of highly skilled product managers, software engineers, testers and DevOps engineers all working together with the latest tools and technologies. Our vision? To create, deploy and maintain the most highly regarded customer feedback platform in the world. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people.
- We’re looking for a Junior Software Engineer to join our engineering team, either based from our Southampton office or working remotely in the UK. You’ll be working on both front-end and back-end applications that form the overall Maru/HUB platform of interconnected applications. You will be working as part of an established team of software engineers supported by QA, DevOps and Product teams, contributing to development and support of new and existing applications and microservices.
- As a Junior Software Engineer you can expect to be fully involved in the team from week one, including code reviews and stand-ups. You will be included in discussions around delivery, architecture, and software design of current and upcoming technical work, as well as defining, implementing and supporting solutions. The ideal candidate will have the technical aptitude and communication skills to seek out and solve problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Our technology stack currently comprises PHP/Symfony, C#/ASP.NET & Vue/Vuetify backed by PostgreSQL, Redis, Docker & Kubernetes – we will expect you to have a good working knowledge and experience in one or more of the technologies listed and a willingness and aptitude to learn the rest. Your practical experience will be backed by a good Computer Science or Engineering qualification at degree level giving you a good understanding of software development, object orientation, design patterns and problem solving.
- In return, we provide an environment focused on your professional development, giving you time, space, encouragement and support to develop your technical skills and grow in your role, as you develop your skills as an engineer. You will be fully supported by your line manager in regular one-to-ones to help coach and mentor you through your professional development.
- As your knowledge and confidence grows, you can expect to be given greater responsibility and ownership of your work in order to progress your career, including but not limited to the items below.
- Technical ownership of a range of web-based applications
- Working with the engineering team to discuss, design and build applications
- Collaborating in architecture and complex solution design sessions
- Balancing technical debt and innovation
- Delivering secure, tested, working software in line with product requirements
- Working with business teams to identify & solve issues with existing software
- Deploying new versions of platforms into staging and/or live environments
- Engaging with the wider business to support a collaborative and thriving working culture and environment
- Delivering secure working code on-time and to specification with a minimum of bugs
- Full engagement with the engineering and product teams, as well as other parts of the business as required
- Contributing to discussions to identify and define solutions in conjunction with the wider engineering team
- Participating in and potentially leading planning sessions and other ceremonies with the engineering team
- Supporting a learning culture by sharing knowledge, participating in hackathons, and blogging internally or externally
- A demonstrable knowledge of PHP & Symfony or C# & ASP.NET, along with modern front-end frameworks and build systems – other languages considered
- Knowledge of standards, design patterns, object oriented principles and their applications
- Knowledge of SQL
- Experience creating and consuming secure REST APIs as part of a distributed service architecture
- Experience working with UX designers to improve the overall experience of our products
- Experience of Docker, Linux, Kubernetes
- Confident and capable communicator
- Able to adapt to, and be enthusiastic about, today's fast-changing technical landscape
- Interest in Data, showing experience in SQL and NoSQL Databases, data modelling skills etc (desirable but not a necessity)
- Some of Our Technology and Tooling:
- PHP, Symfony
- C#, ASP.NET
- Vue, Vuetify
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- A culture based around collaboration, ownership and mentorship
- Buddy programme for new starters
- Flexible working (including home working) around a 35-hour working week
- 23 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Summer working hours (6 half-day Fridays)
- 5 days paid leave for personal development each year (after 1 year’s service)
- “10% time” - 10% of your time is sandboxed to learn a new skill/technology or get a qualification
- Annual “Hackathon” competition and staff social events
- ‘LinkedIn Learning’ membership for personal development
- Bupa Health Insurance (including dental cover) and Employee Assistance Programme
- Company Sick Pay Scheme (after 6 months service)
- In Service Life Insurance (4 x salary)
- Employee Discount platform (retail, entertainment, travel, technology & eating out) and Cycle to Work Scheme
- Contributory Pension scheme
- If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, we invite you to apply online now.
- Our commitment to Diversity, Inclusivity and Belonging
- As a company we are committed to the principles of equity diversity, accessibility and inclusion. At Maru, we value the contributions of all colleagues and engage in ongoing efforts to foster a sense of welcome and belonging. We do not tolerate discrimination in any form as all colleagues have a right to a work environment that is respectful and inclusive. We believe diverse identities and diversity of experience, outlook and culture drives innovation. This is core to how we build our teams, cultivate our leaders and create an inclusive company.
- Please note that due to the high volume of applications received only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your interest in Maru and encourage you to constantly check our website for a list of all current opportunities.