Product Development Engineer
Location : Wausau, WI
Headquarters : Minnesota, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Mid Level
- Data collection
- Guiding the technical scope of new product development projects from inception to introduction, product development engineers optimize product design with a special focus on ease of manufacturing and application. In this role, you also are involved with architectural design and estimating support, product selection, digital testing, physical testing and engineering. Sharing your technical knowledge, you will help engineers, project managers, sales department and customers. To clearly convey new product ideas to internal and external customers, your graphic communication skills are critical including engineering drawings, sketches, labels and other tools.
- Define, communicate and enforce technical scope on new product development projects. Support technical sales efforts when assigned.
- Minimize costs, while meeting design criteria.
- Assist customers in obtaining pre-order approval of technical qualifications.
- Work with designers in preparation of die drawings, submission and/or production drawings.
- Provide technical support to Engineered and Advantage by Wausau teams.
- Troubleshoot and participate in correction of product-related problems in manufacturing, at the test laboratory, or on the job site.
- Assist in testing and installation of mock-ups.
- Communicate with vendors regarding technical limitations and capabilities of component parts and systems.
- Design, revise and approve aluminum and plastic extrusions developed for new products. Ensure compliance to die design standards and extrusion design compatibility with the entire engineered system. Communicate with extruders and suppliers, and participate in review meetings.
- Understand Stage Gate processes and update Stage Gate documents for NPI development
- Assist in documenting testing based on Air, Water, Structural, Thermal and applicable testing needs.
- Provide technical support to other departments, including preliminary details, basic structural and thermal calculations, product selection, specification review, submission drawings and testing plans. Special emphasis will be placed on hardware design and applications engineering for operable windows as well as terrace and patio doors.
- Attend training seminars, sales conventions, business social functions and visit suppliers as required.
- Generate and evaluate new product ideas. Plan and specify design criteria and lead a cross-functional team. Design and develop new products and associated materials, training, assessments and updates.
- Understand fenestration performance, including a thorough knowledge of heat transfer and fluid mechanics, acoustics, structural integrity and general safety.
- Adhere to established Safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe environment for all associates.
- Adhere to established Policies, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Participate in or lead process improvement initiatives.
- Undertake job responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company's Core Values.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned and required.
- Bachelor's Degree in design related field (Engineering or Architectural).
- Applicable experience in R&D and Stage Gate approaches in school or as intern /co-op.
- Read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals and other industry materials.
- Write reports, business correspondence and procedural manuals.
- Present information and answer questions from other managers, customers and the general public.
- Apply advanced mathematical concepts, such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations and permutations.
- Apply mathematical operations to tasks, such as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form, and accommodate several abstract and concrete variables.
- Proficient in the following software:
- AutoCAD (2D and 3D), CTO PRO, THERM, WINDOW and CMAST modeling software,
- Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Speed and efficiency in 2D AutoCAD is critical.
- 3D modeling a plus
- IOT and Mechantronics experience a plus
- Computer programming experience a plus
- Use of EPICOR and SharePoint.
- P.E. license preferred, but not required.
- There are no direct supervisory responsibilities
- Mostly an office environment with occasional visits to the manufacturing floor. The noise levels in the work environment are usually moderate. Available for moderate amount of travel.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Window and Wall Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Company. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Apogee and our brands are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.