Optical Metrology Application Engineer I (E1)
Location : Santa Clara, CA
Headquarters : Santa Clara, California, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
- Applied Materials is shaping future tech trends by turning breakthrough ideas into reality. Our expertise in materials engineering is the foundation that computers, mobile devices and flat panel displays — products touched daily by billions of people all over the world — are built on. Join us and become a part of the next wave of engineering that makes possible AI/ML, big data, autonomous vehicles, AR/VR, IoT and more.
- In the Office of the CTO, we are focused on bringing Applied Materials innovations to new and adjacent markets. Our Engineered Optics team is creating new super thin (sub micron) optical surfaces based on nanometer-sized structures on transparent substrates (known as “metasurface based optics” or “flat optics”), which manipulate light in the deep sub wavelength domain and enable previously impossible capabilities. These components will be the most fundamental change in optics in hundreds of years and could be deployed in AR/VR devices, cameras, projectors, sensors, and a host of yet to be imagined opportunities — there is endless potential.
- Our dedicated and talented team is working to perfect this new technology. If you’re an entrepreneurial-oriented, enthusiastic engineer or technician who is willing to learn and challenge yourself in creating cutting-edge technology to revolutionize the field of optics — we want you to be a part of our team.
- We are actively recruiting to hire and successfully train for an entry level Optical Metrology Applications Engineer with a BS or higher in Physics or similar technical discipline.
- This is a 2nd shift position.
- Key Responsibilities
- Collects, analyzes data and designs statistically valid experiments.
- Qualifies modules / sub-modules. Perform, collect and analyze data on advanced substrate, technologies and concepts for a range of new products.
- Supports physics related application and system issues in the lab and in the field when required.
- Troubleshoot system problems. Respond to field physics related issues, function as advisor for solving physics related application issues.
- Supplies data to support product risk management decision making process.
- Participates in the vendor selection process. Participates in technological customer engagements and contributes in his / her specific field of expertise
- Evaluate new technologies Plan and conduct test of new technologies under evaluation in the team.
- Execute feasibility studies of new technologies and provide results / analysis supporting the decision making process.
- Executes feasibility studies of complete systems / sub-systems, leveraging new technologies and design concepts.
- Prepares the demonstration of new capabilities and conducts performance analysis
- Demonstrates conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures within a discipline
- Applies general knowledge of business developed through education or past experience
- No supervisory responsibilities; accountable for developing technical contribution
- Uses existing procedures to solve standard problems; analyzes information and standard practices to make judgments
- Has limited impact on own work team; works within standardized procedures and practices to achieve objectives and meet deadlines
- Exchanges straightforward information, asks questions and checks for understanding
Bachelor's Degree: Physics
Years of Experience:
- Up to 1 Year
- Work Experience:
- Additional Information
- Yes, 10% of the Time
- Applied Materials is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.