Principal Software Engineer
Location : Redmond, WA 98052
Headquarters : Redmond, Washington, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Mid Level
- Windows Storage and Filesystem (SFS) group, provides the storage platform from an IOT device, single client machine, to large datacenter servers in Azure.
- SFS is responsible for the whole storage stack, from block level drivers, volumes, Filesystems, and filters. Windows storage platform empowers billions of computers, and applications running on them to access storage in a fast, reliable, and secure way.
- We are in the midst of a once in a lifetime effort to re-evaluate and redesign this platform. We have a broad charter of making Windows Storage platform the best in class, particularly focused on new storage device classes, and applications. Do you want to be part of this exciting Journey?
- You will be working with a small team of highly motivated ICs, and will be responsible for driving this effort. Ideal candidates for this role should be self driven, collaborate effectively with peers, and are able to make progress under uncertainty. Analyzing, Generating ideas, evaluating, quick prototyping, and iterating through multiple solutions would be required.
- Work closely with a team of ICs, both within SFS and outside.
- Understand and evaluate the scope of improvements in Windows Storage Platform.
- Come up with solutions, individually or collaboratively with the team.
- Rapid prototyping and evaluation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field.
- Deep Expertise in C, and C++.
- 15+ years of Windows file system or file system filter development experience including knowledge of the Windows IO System.
- Extensive knowledge of data structures, especially for high performance multi-threaded scenarios, e.g. hashtables, SkipList, RCU, e.t.c.
- Excellent communication, and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge of Windows Performance tools e.g. xperf.
- Knowledge of Windows Storage Platform.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
- Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.