This job posting has expired
Embedded Software Engineer
Location : Palo Alto, CA
Headquarters : 2625 Middlefield Rd #938, Palo Alto, CA 94306, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Embedded Software Engineer
Experience : Mid Level
- Software development
- Foldscope Instruments, Inc. is a Bay Area start-up with the explicit mission to magnify curiosity worldwide. Our first and flagship product is the Foldscope, a paper-based microscope that can be manufactured for about $1 in parts. To date, we have distributed 1.5 million Foldscopes to over 150 countries around the world. Now, we are expanding our team as we develop a new line of products with embedded electronics. We are a small team of science enthusiasts who seek to add another to our ranks.
- In this role, you will work with other engineers on our team to develop embedded system solutions for our new products. Your responsibilities will entail programming firmware for our microcontrollers (e.g. ESP32) in C and in Python, using web sockets to communicate with our web app user interface, and troubleshooting issues with drivers and wireless connectivity. Besides these, we also value if you can contribute to other aspects of our embedded systems, such as PCB design and sensor integration. In addition, you will work with other team members to support user testing of our products and to support the transition to production.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or equivalent
- 5+ years experience with embedded software development
- Proficiency in writing reusable and modular code
- Experience with microcontrollers and their coding
- Experience in electronics hardware development
- A strong understanding of the integration of hardware and software
- A home office environment with a laptop or desktop computer and a high-speed internet connection
- Experience with using web sockets
- Experience and interest in STEM education
- Experience with networks
- Industry experience related to consumer electronics
- Knowledge of current product design practices (i.e. needfinding, user testing, etc.)
- Besides the primary job requirements, you will be expected to contribute to group meetings and brainstorming sessions for new product ideas and corporate strategy. Additional tasks may be required at the discretion of the CEO.
- Out team currently works remotely from home, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
- We believe that people with an affinity to our mission will be the best candidates for a position with Foldscope Instruments. You should believe in what we are trying to do and be willing to plunge full force into this job! We need sincere, personable people with integrity and spirit. If you have been in a professional product design role before, all the better, but it is not necessary if you have a thirst to use your skills to help reach children around the world with a new set of tools that will allow them to discover a whole new world. We hope you are a practical person with the basic skills to get things done. We trust that you will apply yourself fully to whatever tasks are required.
Pay: $70,000.00 - $95,000.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
Embedded software: 1 year (Required)
Apply for this job