Director, Software Development
Location : Mississauga, ON
Headquarters : Mississauga, Canada
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Director
Experience : Mid Level
- IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it’s not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky – people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
- Of course, we offer all the benefits you’d expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That’s why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits – to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
- As the world’s leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they’ve only dreamed of.
- Come explore IMAX – where innovation, creativity and passion come together.
- The Director, Software Development will lead the “front of the house” software development teams for the IMAX Engineering team. This role will lead the design of software (cradle-to-grave) for all new in-theater products as well as overseeing our cloud-based media processing platform, mobile app development and imax.com initiatives. In addition, they will improve department processes, software data management systems and development tools.
- Lead the software teams including embedded software team as well as providing application software development involving massively parallel cloud-agnostic architectures and web site development.
- Develop and maintain a culture of continuous improvement in software deliverables as well as team and individual performance.
- Create an innovative work environment that fosters challenging the status quo, taking appropriate risks, and a bias for action.
- Mentor and empower your teams to achieve their personal and business objectives.
- Partner with Hardware Development to manage changes in software to support new and existing hardware-based products.
- Coordinate with other teams (Hardware, DevOps, Manufacturing, QA, Technical Support and Installation) to resolve hardware, software and system issues. Liaise with other managers to communicate information, resolve problems, and identify corporate priorities.
- Provide technical guidance and hands-on participation when necessary, as a working management position.
- Create requirement specifications, develop project plans, and support the team on delivery according to plan, following formal methodologies.
- Accurately determine length and difficulty of work and allocate resources.
- Apply Agile Development principles including implementing CI/CD best practices
- Manage software projects, track and report progress on a regular basis, provide guidance to teams, prioritize work, review tests and ensure deliverables and approvals.
- Review products and processes to ensure implementation of improvements/enhancements, prepare project analysis/recommendations.
- Identify and implement solutions to enhance software development tools.
- Manages outsourcing contracts including specifications, selection of contractors and service contracts as needed.
- University degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science preferred or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of leading/managing a small – medium team of developers focused on full stack application development and exceptional experience with code reuse, encapsulation and modularization
- A minimum of 5 years overseeing the design and deployment of complex cloud-based systems preferably in AWS environments
- At least 10 years of hands-on experience in full stack software development
- Exceptional knowledge and experience with all phases of the software development life cycle and the introduction of software products into Manufacturing or Internet delivered global scale Production.
- Extensive technical knowledge of system architecture design, programming languages (C++, Node, Python, Java), formal software design methodologies (OOP, MVC) and code validation techniques (white box, black box).
- A thorough understanding of software configuration management and revision control strategies and tools, i.e. git.
- Good knowledge of computer and electronic hardware, specifically as related to the hardware/software interface.
- Excellent people management as well as peer to peer communication skills.
- Problem solver: analytical thinking skills are required to break down multi-dimensional issues to identify problems, determine alternative approaches and ensure expedient resolutions.
- Out of the box thinker, willing to take educated risks, work effectively under stress, and love a challenge.
- A background in or an affinity for professional audio/visual systems; understand the technological complexities and challenges related to these systems.
- Assertive, self-empowered and possess a sense of urgency with a commitment to deliver
- Technical Knowledge - Proven track record of full stack software development, able to “dive in” occasionally as needed, well-versed in Agile software development methodology. Experience developing and deploying highly scalable cloud solutions. History of utilizing CI/CD to improve efficiencies. Nice to have – mobile app and/or web site development.
- Resiliency - Ability to break down barriers with internal stakeholders so software development proceeds smoothly, ability to sense what barriers would be blockers and be 2 steps ahead so team is not impacted
- Diplomacy - Ability to break down barriers without leaving carnage when doing so
- Passion for IMAX and the brand
- Sense of Urgency and Entrepreneurial traits.
- Adaptability - Recognizes the highly dynamic nature of our business, is flexible in changing circumstances (team, environment, workload). Adjusts methods and approaches to effectively carry out tasks in situation of ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Ability to Build Collaborative Relationships - Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the company, who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Business Acumen - Understands the factors influencing our business and can integrate the various competing needs to ensure success for their group. Approach problems from a business perspective
- Coaching - Provide timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
- Communication - Listens and interprets verbal and non-verbal inputs in order to ensure thoughts and ideas are understood. Organizes a response based on an awareness of content and intended audience.
- Leadership - Ability to involve others in establishing a shared vision of where the group /function/business is going, sets an example by aligning behaviors with values.
- For consideration, please apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest in IMAX but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- At IMAX you'll be part of a culture built on respect - one that recognizes the unique talents of everyone on the team. We're proud of the differences that make us all unique and we support unity, acceptance and equal rights for all. Diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a global company.
- Before you start with IMAX, all employment is subject to background and reference checks. Additionally, our Canada employees are subject to our mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy.
- IMAX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.