Software Engineer 1
Location : Cochrane, AB (or) REMOTE
Headquarters : Olathe, Kansas, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Mid Level
- Employee stock purchase plan
- RRSP match
- Wellness program
- Garmin Canada has multiple opportunities for entry level and intermediate full-time software developers who have a hunger for solving real-world problems with embedded systems. We are organized into three multi-disciplinary engineering divisions that deliver technologies, solutions, and world-class consumer electronics.
- Connected Technologies: This division stewards ANT and BLE technologies across multiple Garmin business segments. These wireless technologies enable compelling customer features in Garmin products such as connected widgets and apps on a smartwatch, seamless integration with mobile phones, interaction with IoT systems, and real-time collection and analysis of fitness data from wearables and other sensors.
- Fitness Products: This division is responsible for the VariaTM family of products for cycling awareness, the RallyTM family of bike power meters, and essential fitness accessories such as HRM-Pro and Bike Speed/Cadence sensors. Software teams in the products division will enable the inception and delivery of the next generation of products delivered to Garmin’s Fitness customers.
- Wearables: This division currently supports over 40 different products, and continues to innovate for the next generation of wearable products in Garmin’s extensive portfolio. The software teams contribute across the wearable system from delivering a robust low-power platform all the way to ensuring high accuracy in customer-facing metrics such as wrist heart-rate and SpO2.
- In any of our engineering divisions, as a Software Developer focused on embedded systems, you will:
- Implement embedded software solutions, primarily in C
- Develop unit tests to verify your solutions, primarily in C/C++
- Design well architected software modules to deliver new features or improve the capability and performance of existing features
- Provide reliable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Participate in peer code review and design review
- Decompose functional requirements into well-defined tasks
- Collaborate with developers, technical leads, and product managers to identify opportunities for new features or to improve existing processes
- At Garmin Canada, we create more than just products – we inspire solutions and innovations that change and shape how we live, work and play. You’ll get to play an integral role in helping us bring cutting edge products from concept to market, while working alongside a diverse group of top talent from around the globe. When you work at Garmin, adventure doesn’t have to wait for the weekend. This is where you can put your passions into action – and enjoy what you do every day! Here are just a few things we think you’ll love about working here:
- You’ll love the views. Our hybrid work model will enable you to enjoy the views from your home office, as well as the view of the Rocky Mountains from our office in Cochrane! With bike parks and trails right outside our front door, our office is perfectly positioned for testing out the very products we develop here. You’ll be able to take in the magnificent mountain views – even from your workspace – and still be only 15 minutes from Calgary.
- You’ll love our office culture. From company BBQs and movie viewings to lunch hour sports and WAN parties, we foster an engaging community where you’ll get to know everyone beyond the confines of meeting rooms. You’ll quickly find out that we believe in work-life integration and place high value on diversity and inclusion. Our onsite fitness centre, ergonomic sit-stand desks, and Garmin Wellness program all contribute to the commitment we have to the overall wellness of every associate. Garmin Canada’s Corporate Social Responsibility program supports and contributes to local communities and causes, while providing you with the opportunity to support the things you’re passionate about!
- You’ll receive fantastic benefits. One thing you’ll notice is that we are always evolving and adapting so that our benefit plan continues to exceed the needs of our associates. With our competitive coverage, you won’t have to worry about out-of-pocket expenses for things like physiotherapy, massage therapy, and chiropractic services. You’ll get flexibility with our versatile savings plans with your choice of tax-free or non-registered savings account, as well as a student loan repayment program. We also have an employee stock purchase plan, RRSP matching and fitness reimbursements – just to name a few!
- You’ll be part of something big. Our bright, open concept office encourages a fun, collaborative, and supportive work environment – complete with coffee to keep you caffeinated and drinks to keep you hydrated. Every associate is encouraged to think big and share their ideas, which is why our office supports an open-door policy. We’re continuing to grow year over year, and we get excited to see our associates learn, grow, and advance their careers with us! If you’re an innovator, solution creator and outside-of-the-box thinker ready to take on any challenge, you’ll fit in perfectly!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software/Electrical/Computer Engineering with a cumulative GPA greater than 3.0
- Strong coding skills in C/C++
- Experience with source control systems like Git
- Ability to work well with others across several locations world-wide in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience with working with teams who deliver software rapidly to changing market needs
- Low-power and constrained system development and verification
- Debugging complex problems on embedded systems
- Integrating and maintaining 3rd party software packages (e.g. SDKs)
- Hands-on experience with ANT and/or BLE focused software development on embedded systems
- Implementing low level serial drivers on bare metal platforms (UART/SPI/SDIO)
- Working on multiple simultaneous development projects
- Development of software for consumer electronics
- Experience with build systems like Jenkins
- Proficient in using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multimeters, real time debuggers, and other similar hardware
- Garmin Canada is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, family status, source of income, and sexual orientation.